Saturday, December 27, 2014

Let's Get Back into the Swing of Things, Shall We?


So I haven't written anything here...since February, if Google is accurate in their timeline. But today I got something in the mail, and I had to write about that...because how often does someone have something this goofy and random to write about?

I'm a landowner!

What's that, you say? Owning land is pretty common now, really- whether it's land you inherited from your grandparents, their grandparents, or your own parents. It's land. I think these days it has a bit less sentimental value than it used to (think Little House on the Prairie and how Pa sowed the land, planted, had to stay there on his claim for months until it was really and truly theirs), but just the same...it's pretty substantial. You own land, and you have something to build on, plant on, just make snow angels on in the wintertime. Whatever you want.

Today, in the mail, I received a part of my Ten Days of Kwanzaa or Whatever from Cards Against Humanity. The company pulled several very interesting stunts revolving around the holidays, one of which was actual poop you received in the mail (oh, the people who I imagine were steamed about that- though thankfully it was just the people who were steamed and not the actual poop. Eew.). The Ten Days of Kwanzaa or Whatever consisted of ten days (accurate) of random things in the mail. Actual custom printed CaH cards involving your name, an interesting breakdown of some legislative information, and....a piece of land. Not literally, of course, as said land would not fit in an envelope.

But Cards Against Humanity acquired themselves a lovely little private island for something like $200,000, and in a fairly hilarious gimmick, gave people who had purchased the Ten Days subscription exactly one square foot of land. So I could stand in it, build a card house on it, plant a teeny flag on it...whatever I want. Tax free, even...so my only major obligation is to keep it tidy.

I'm somewhat tempted, as a new landowner, to hike myself over to Lake St. George in Maine, where my square foot is located, and do yoga in my tiny square foot. Yoga that involves standing up, because I can't very well be rude and do a <insert yoga pose here> on both my square foot and someone elses'. Trespassing is something people take seriously, these days.

But all the same, I own land now. So. I can check that off of my bucket list. If I had a bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment