Saturday, April 6, 2013

"Isn't it fun, isn't it? Nowadays..."

"You can like the life you're living,
you can live the life you like.
You can even marry Harry,
or mess around with Ike..."

Oh, relationships. So awful, so wonderful, such very excellent fodder from which a person can write a song that may or may not reach the top of the Country Billboard charts. Who can blame a person, though, for writing about heartache and/or anger when it's bankable and will be likely to help you build a lovely little nest egg. I'd write about it myself, if even thinking about any of my past relationships didn't put me into a homicidal rage that causes me to not only lose all creativity but to think of all the things I'd like to do to the person who so unceremoniously ripped me to shreds.

See what I did there? If I were able to retain an objective thought, I'd have taken that very emotion and turned it into a wonderful, head-banging song about men in nice clothing who are really cowards and jerks. 

Anyway. When I was a child, I remember friends mocking the country music genre because they claimed that the artists were only ever singing about losing a truck, a dog, or a wife. Maybe they were, back when I was younger, but now they also sing about shoes ("Red High Heels", by Kellie Pickler), or solo cups ("Red Solo Cup", by Toby Keith), or being young ("22", by Taylor Swift). Maybe they do still sing about getting married on the fly ("Last Name", by Carrie Underwood), but they also sing about hope ("Something Worth Leaving Behind", by Lee Ann Womack) and family ("Home To Me", by   Sarah Darling). The very thing I like about country is probably what a lot of people like about their favored genre- that it speaks to them in some way or another and they can find a connection that they need. 

I'm not going to say how silly I think it is that there's a song on the charts right now called "Thrift Shop" (It's not country...but I don't even really know what it's under), because once upon a time some artist in the country world wrote "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" (Really...ugh), and I definitely won't say how stupid I think it is that there's a song that essentially has 'ass' as seventy-five percent of the lyrics, because there's a country song called "Kiss This" (I also think that's incredibly...ugh.). 

Oh, wait. You noticed that I said I wasn't going to say how stupid I thought it was...yet I still did? Caught that, did you? Well. Ha. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think that my taste in music is absolutely dreadful, because I like Taylor Swift. She writes about what she knows, whether anyone dares to think she has no idea what love is...or if they think she's too vindictive by saying what she does. If I had the resources, I'm sure I'd sing from the rooftops about the jerk who broke my heart and couldn't face me himself...especially if I could make money. It'd be like fighting back.

And with the amount of things I'd really like to say to some people, well...I'll take whatever form I can get.


No comments:

Post a Comment