Monday, April 22, 2013

"Hear you go!" "Hey, over they're!"

Honestly, I'm not a grammar fiend. I'm not the one who will here (see what I did there?) another person say "I'm good!" in response to "How are you doing?" and correct them by saying "Well. You're well."

No. I'm not that person.

I'm the person who writes a completely unprofessional publication of my own creation, who fully intends for it to reflect my tone and likeness as much as possible. I often respond to inquires after my well being with "I'm good, thank you!". That's fine. I'm not publishing in a paper, or putting out a blog intending to reach the masses with current events or human interest pieces.

Today I read an article about a barista creating latte art for his customers. Pretty awesome art, and if you look at my Facebook page you'll see the link to the article. You'll also see me pointing out the misuse of the word 'hear'. Either they misspelt 'here' or misused 'hear', but whatever the reason, the wrong word was in place for that particular context. Now, if that was my blog- my simple, modest blog- I'd just shrug and dismiss it. But no...it's an ABC news blog. ABC. An actual news station that reports news to thousands of people.

That being said- I know it's not a big deal, in the grand scheme of things. Really. I mean, people are dying in the world and I'm complaining about the minor issue of spelling and grammar in the news? Well, I realize we live in the world of 'lol' and 'omg', 'hear' a 'here', 'there' a 'they're, everywhere a 'where' 'wear', but if I'm reading a professional publication I expect to see the correct usage and spelling for things.

The example being set here is unintentional, I'm sure, but when a news service (and abc isn't the only one) isn't even proofreading their own pieces, how can we expect people to know what the difference is between words that sound so similar?

1 comment:

  1. I saw that article in my feed and was gonna link it to you, LOL... I agree with everything you said, lol

    ReplyDelete