Friday, April 19, 2013

Live Free Or Die!

Yes, for those of you reading...that is the motto of the state of New Hampshire. However, this post has nothing to do with the state of New Hampshire, but rather the word 'free', and how it brings out behaviors in people that mirror that of rabid dogs or hyenas faced with the promise of prey (I realize I'm stereotyping hyenas, but my vision in this case is more like the drooling, cartoonish hyenas in The Lion King).

'Free House Coffee until noon at Starbucks'. I'm seeing that everywhere today, from dealspl.us to yahoo.com. The word free churns up, I imagine, that same feeling that gambling does. A rush of some chemical something-or-other that makes the individual clamor for more. Hence questions like 'does it only have to be a small?', or 'can I just get it later?', or 'can I have more than one?'

Don't get me wrong. I love free things. I like the prospect of getting a free coffee, I like the prospect of getting a free bottle of nail polish. I will get one coffee. I will get one nail polish. I will not get up at 6am to get them, and I will not stand in line for hours on end. Because paying for things is how we support our economy, and because I've seen how obnoxious people can get when things are free.

I realize this sounds awfully judgmental. If you're one of those people who likes free things, go for it. I'm sure you're very polite and understanding, and I'm sure that's appreciated by the people who give you that free coffee or that free sandwich, or that free wi-fi. Continue to be grateful for the free things, and I'm sure you'll be the bright spot in the day of that person who gave you the free haircut.

I still find it entertaining to see the glow in people's eyes when they ask 'Is it true that you're giving away free axes today?'. Doesn't matter if its the most useless thing to them (I mean, how many people need a free nose hair trimmer? Does everyone trim their nose hair? Is it a huge problem?), or if they already have three potato peelers. If it's free...

For some people, landing the free thing is imperative. Vital to their survival, even. And I suppose that's ok...but there's a point where one should stop and say 'if it's while supplies last...maybe someone else needs it more'.

Or maybe they have fifteen. Whatever. At least you've avoided an overstuffed utensil drawer. There's always that small triumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment