Thursday, February 28, 2013

Adventure Time: Coupon Edition

     Couponing is an art passed down through generations, originating with the ancient Egyptians, who would often utilize couponing to obtain additional concubines in a buy one get one free offer. Granted, they didn't have actual money, but even a shiny pebble saved is a shiny pebble earned, so the more saved the better! Of course, we all know this is crap. Couponing originated some time long after, and I couldn't begin to tell you when- although it's probably not as cool as the origin story I made up, right?

     Well, then. Couponing. Once in a while, years ago, I would see a coupon in my perusal of the Sunday paper (I was looking for the comics. Always.) so I would clip this coupon, and find a fair amount of glee in saving fifty cents (ooooh!) on a package of my favorite string cheese.  I mean, my sister's basement looks like Sam's Club Jr, so obviously the world of couponing is one that takes a sharp and savvy mind capable of crunching numbers like nobody's business. My freezer, on the other hand, possesses an amount of meat capable of rendering a man unconscious (seriously- a pork loin over the head? Goodbye, classic baseball bat, hello natural weapon.). But my finds were the products of good deals- not really coupon clipping.

The couponing I speak of, the kind that makes your basement look like a price club and your cupboards ready for attack by the Legion of Doom? That's the price crunching kind, the mathematician-meets-Indiana Jones-type Bargain Hunter kind. These are the people who have the minds for deals, who can see a stack of paper towels on sale for a dollar and say 'Hm. If those are a dollar each and I have a fifty cent off coupon, but the coupons are doubled- and wait! It's another twenty cents off because it's National Paper Towel day!' Those are the people who can tell you how many paper towels you can get for free.

I had a way better example than that...but I'll save that one for "Adventure Time: Extreme Couponing Edition" (Not to say that's much different than this. In fact, it may be exactly the same. In fact...it is.).

Oh- and that original example? I read it to a friend of mine, and she did it out in her head. Which is pretty awesome.

"Oh! I have a coupon for that!" -My Sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment