Monday, February 25, 2013

Musty, Dusty and Old: A Trip through Nostalgia Land

   

      Isn't it lucky, really, that a passport isn't required to take a trip down memory lane? And that there's no toll, like in The Phantom Tollbooth? Otherwise we'd all be paying out the nose to take a walk down the aisles of Goodwill, where some of the dishes resemble things my grandmother had in her kitchen cupboard, or on the table masquerading as a candy dish. You know, those cut glass things that have the fun bumps and come in colors like clear (is that really technically a color?), pink and blue? Green, sometimes. I went to Goodwill tonight, and in addition to finding a lovely, sealed copy of Casablanca on VHS (probably worth nothing, but totally awesome), I found Batman on VHS (Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na...awesome!), and SO MUCH STAR TREK on VHS (I didn't buy it, as it was 1.99 a tape and I already have at least one series on DVD). The VHS section was like my childhood threw up in there, and I do not regret a second of my squealing like a little girl.

     As I was checking out at the register, the guy in front of me turned to see the box I placed on the counter, containing a VCR (it wasn't really a VCR, but from the same time period...or even prior), and said: "What is that?". Now, I realize that there are countless internet memes showing cassette tapes, #2 pencils, and VHS tapes, all saying 'Like if you remember this', but COME ON. Really. My own niece (thank you, kid) knows what a VCR is. And I'm pretty sure she knows what a cassette tape is. Thankfully so, else I'd have to write her out of the will for not being cool for her age (kidding. In my will all she'd be getting is VHS tapes and DVD's of science fiction shows, so she really isn't missing out).

   I know, I know. Everyone gets to that point where they can't believe the things of their youth are so 'retro now', and are flabbergasted when someone younger doesn't know what "Three's Company" is, or "The Electric Company" or "Square One". Years ago I asked someone if they knew who Vanilla Ice was, and they said no. I suppose that the things of ones youth don't nearly seem as out of date until seen through a younger generation's eyes, so it's just so damn difficult to understand why someone might not realize that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ARE NOT ALIENS, Michael Bay.

   I love nostalgia, though. Love it. I have a piece of fabric printed with the old Ninja Turtles logo from the 90's, I have the DVD set of the first season of JAG, and I have Return to Oz on DVD that I've watched a thousand times. I mean, it's all special because I loved it once and it all got me through some point in my life at one time or another. My DVD set of Star Trek:Voyager got me through my parents divorce, and now every time I watch it I feel like I'm okay for a little while. It's all meaningful in one way or another, and that's what makes it so nice to revisit.

    "Every act of rebellion expresses a nostalgia for innocence and an appeal to the essence of being."
                                                                                     -Albert Camus 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment