Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Social Media: Extra! Extra!

Hey! What's this? It's social media, this blog. It's media intended to reach out to you, my peeps, and tell you what's up in my world, or what I think of the world, or what have you. Pretty decent, really- it's kind my own newspaper, but without the smell of fresh ink or the sweat and blood involved in putting out a publication of that caliber.

So many people go through phases where they want a break from the social media circus, as it were, and I once upon a time found myself asking why. Why suddenly take a break from Facebook? It's such a lovely way to keep in touch with friends and family. A great way to find people you may have never found. A way to have your voice heard.

Also a great place to be a bully, an insensitive jackass, or to pretend that four years of being a jerk to someone else never happened. "Let's be friends, person I was never friends with in high school!" Sure. I really want to remind myself of the agony you think is no big deal but left me crying in the bathroom during study hall.

The point is: I don't think it's the social media that's the problem. I don't. I think it's the people who use it as a passive aggressive way to simply carry out their agendas, whatever they may currently be. I don't know about anyone else, but when I use Facebook I don't use it to directly attack anyone else. Yes, I've been known to be passive aggressive too- but that's done. I'm done with using my Facebook for anything other than sharing, caring, and funny pictures of cats.

I'd be a hypocrite to say I'm not guilty of abusing Facebook in exactly the way I've mentioned. I'm sure I have more than I think. But Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, and Livejournal are also social media, and I love to use those for sharing pictures and stories of what I love in life.

I'm sure this isn't news. People are always the problem, irrational as they may be. You tell people not to panic: they panic. You tell them they can have it their way: they want it their way in the MOST obnoxious way possible. It's what people do.

You say something on social media for everyone to see: they probably see it. And other people see it. And their other people see it. It's a shame, really- but sometimes a break is necessary, even if you enjoy it. Because one rock can send a ripple through the whole pond, and it can be seen for a while, depending on the size of the rock.

"On Twitter we get excited if someone follows us. In real life we get really scared and run away." ~Unknown via @mozusa

No comments:

Post a Comment