Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What To Expect When I'm Not Sleeping

So. Sleep. Some people do it, some people /try/ to do it, and some people do a lot of it. I remember an episode of The X-Files where there were some soldiers who had surgery which prevented them from sleeping. As a result they were crazy, and chain smokers, and one of them went on a killing spree. This is not, however, my point. So don't worry: I'm not going on a killing spree when I go through bouts of insomnia.

I do, however, busy myself in a wide variety of ways, none of which involve cutting lines or smoking copious amounts of grass; although many proponents of medical marijuana say that it can help wit quite a few things that may ail you. And I wholeheartedly support doing whatever a person needs to do to cure what ails them...but that's a discussion for another day (unless hitting someone over the head with a blunt object ails stupidity. That's easily discussed as 'go right ahead and do it).

Anyway. So I couldn't sleep Monday night. We're talking full out 'I'm not yawning or feeling remotely tired'. I went to lay in bed around midnight, finally, and the kitten settled in beside me. This idyllic setting did nothing to help me tire, and I eventually plugged in my iPhone to watch only my favorite part in every movie contained on the hard drive.

We start with: "Iron Man", and the dance between Tony and Pepper (Gwyneth Paltrow- love, love, love). Don't judge- I fucking love that dress, and that hair. And the dialogue ("Oh, no...no. I always forget to wear deodorant and dance with my boss in front of everyone that I work with in a dress with no back."). She's snarky, and despite the nerves more than ready to hit back as Tony claims to be perfectly capable of making it a week without her services. And the near kiss on the rooftop hits my poor, sappy single-person heart right where it's soft. Bam, said the writers.

Next up? The semi-ending scene to the 'Castle' season 4 finale, "Always". I won't go too into detail on this, to respect those who may be behind...but the score that plays in that scene, titled "I Just Want You" is gorgeous, as are the variations used in season five. Honestly, look it up on YouTube. I melt, and I think it's in my list of favorite scores (music from"Kate and Leopold" is also on that list).

Neeeeext up: "The Goodbye Girl". Not the Richard Dreyfuss one, admittedly, but Patricia Heaton and Jeff Bridges. The rooftop, as Elliot requests Paula meet him there for dinner ("I said it was formal, kid."). This scene isn't terribly long, but inevitably leaves me warm and fuzzy with a touch of wishful thinking that someone will someday be that sweet and spontaneous with me but not turn around months later and tell me I'm delusional and imply that I'm psycho.

But I digress. We also get a lovely song of the same title, "The Goodbye Girl" by Hootie and the Blowfish. This also makes me happy and warm while stabbing at my heart with little ice picks.

There were more, of course. "Iron Man 2" ("You've taken such good care of me.."), and "The Avengers" ("I thought we were having a moment." "I was having twelve percent of a moment."). I don't care how much I've seen it, when Pepper is on the plane and the phone... Well. Again, I'm a hopeless romantic, and "Sarah, Plain and Tall" makes me stupid with sappiness, so you can imagine how I can find even a spark of it in a SUPERHERO ACTION FILM. A building explodes, and I'm all "Oh my god! Poor Pepper must be a wreck about Tony being in the thick of it."

But I also enjoy the exploding buildings. Amazing how romance and destruction goes hand in hand, isn't it?

Now I'm going to sleep. But only because I took drugs.




No comments:

Post a Comment